Vietnam and Canada have agreed to bolster trade and investment cooperation to bring the two countries' bilateral trade turnover to USD 10 billion.
During a meeting between Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh and his Canadian counterpart Justin Trudeau on Saturday May 20th, on the occassion of the expanded G7 Summit in Japan, the two agreed to boost bilateral trade within the framework of the Pacific trade deal Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
Japan retailer AEON is set to open more shopping centers in Vietnam and expand the import of Vietnamese goods for distribution in Japan, its representative said at a meeting with Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh Saturday.
Vietnam is the biggest investment destination for AEON globally, with over US$1.18 billion invested. AEON has opened six shopping centers in major Vietnamese cities and provinces, including Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hai Phong, and Thua Thien Hue. In the coming time, AEON will develop about 20 shopping centers in Vietnam, focusing on supermarket and entertainment facilities. It will also expand the import of Vietnamese goods for distribution in over 20,000 shopping centers in Japan while offering scholarships to Vietnam for human resources training, as proposed by the Vietnamese leader.
Last week highlight
The 2023 Ho Chi Minh City International Exhibition of Food and Beverages (HCMC Foodex) is set to take place from June 28-30, featuring about 300 display booths from over 200 local and foreign exhibitors. The fair serves as both a bridge between local and international enterprises and a forum for businesses to exchange cutting-edge technologies in food production and processing.
Read full article
Let’s look at some other key financial and business headlines during the past week
- Non-tariff zone gets off the ground in Vietnam’s Hai Phong
- Ministry of Finance still pushing online game tax
- Vietnam sees Boeing as long-term partner in aviation development
- Vietnam, Canada to increase bilateral trade turnover to $10B
- AEON plans to develop 20 more shopping centers in Vietnam
- Vietnam, UAE eye stronger economic, trade and energy cooperation
- Top 500 fastest-growing companies in 2023 announced
- Economic, trade, investment cooperation – a pillar of Vietnam-RoK relations
- Vietnam looks to be among 30 most competitive tourism nations worldwide
- HCMC to host Blockchain Summit in October
Key words: Vietnam, business, finance, economy